Friday, July 17, 2009

Looking for Feedback

I am really lucky and have quite a few hand me downs from my 20 month old niece, but there are a few things I probably still need so I have been looking and thought I would see if you guys have any feeback for me. Although all of the cute clothes and the girly carrier will do me no good if we have 2 boys.

I do not see a travel system for twins, but I did see this stroller that can hold 2 infant carriers and have a friend that has the single one and she says she loves hers.


I have heard lots of good things about bumbos...would you get 2? I don't want to get 2 of everything, but should this be a must have for each? What about the optional tray...does anyone use a tray on theirs?

I am also considering these boosters instead of highchairs. 2 highchairs would consume my entire breakfast area. I think I could almost use the bumbo instead, but this one has the seat belt constraints and the bumbo does not. Definately need 2 of these. Would you get the bumbo and a booster or choose between the 2?
And last for now but definately not least...actually need input on first. What about a maternity pillow? Wish you had or waste of money?

I hope you are not suprised that I am already looking for advice on baby supplies...I like to have things planned well in advance...leaves me time to think about it and make lots of changes and improvements before I actually need whatever I was planning for in the first palce.

I have not done coupons for a very long time now, but if diaper or wipes coupons come in the paper and or you see a great deal on them please let me know...I would much rather stock up while I can get them at a discount than buy them all full price as needed...I am going to need a TON...and at full price 15 cents each that is going to add up really quick.

Thanks for all of your input.

7 comments:

Hooley Family said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys! I have a bumbo you can have that has been very lightly used so don't buy one. I never used a maternity pillow just lots of extra pillows. So fun! How are you feeling?

Kimber said...

I didn't buy a maternity pillow, but by the end of my pregnancy, I wish I had. I'd go for it now so you can get your money's worth! I think you can get long body pillows for under $20 and I've heard they really help. I bet you'll want it by the end. I love my booster chair with tray for Melissa. I did it instead of a high chair, and it works perfectly for us. I'd say that's a go, and you can get them cheap at WalMart. I think ours was about $20 and it has lasted about 6 months and it's doing great. I have the kind with the swiveling tray - I think it's a lot easier than the trays that you have to grab on both sides and unlatch, especially when you have a hungry kid on your hip already!There are $1.50 off Huggies diapers, $2.00 off Huggies overnights, and 50 cents off Huggies wipes in tomorrow's newspaper! Have people save you their extras! :o) I think Kroger sells Huggies wipes for $2.59 and since they double coupons, that makes them a good deal. (Don't know if they're even cheaper at Costco though.) It seems like you can borrow Melissa Hooley's Bumbo, and you can also borrow Melissa Daley's if you want! They're GREAT, but I only used it for about three months ... they're good for supporting sitting, but once Melissa sat up on her own, I didn't use the Bumbo anymore - I just use her booster chair. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! Sorry to leave a novel-length post! :o)

Amy J said...

OK, first of all you don't know me, but I am Penni Cox's sister. I was just being nosy and looking through her blog list. Anyways, I work for an infant room at a child care center, and I buy the stuff for it, so I thought I'd input. Bumbos are awesome, but if you had to choose between it and the booster I'd go for the boosters...you can still sit them up in them, and they can use them as long as they need to...a Bumbo can be pricey and after they are able to sit up you really shouldn't use them any more...they can pop themselves out, usually. The double carrier thingy for the infant seats? Awesome! Worth it! (Especially for more than one baby...it takes up less space than a double stroller. And, having two kids myself, a maternity pillow is something I wish I'd had! Hope this helps!

Penni said...

Ok, my sister is a dork, but she does have some good advice. :) I bought a body pillow from target...I think it was like $20 and it was nice to have! In fact, David liked it too so I bought him his own--haha. I didn't get a bumbo and I kind of wish I had...but it would have only been used for maybe 3 months. But since you have friends who will give you bumbos then that's awesome! I have the booster seat and I really like it...I guess the only downside is it does take up spare chairs...so when guests come over you just need extra chairs. But overall a great space saver and way less money.

The Torres Family said...

I had to leave my opinions, too, of course...now that I've been through 4 kiddos. There are definitely travel systems for twins, I have a double stroller right now that we will be selling soon (I'll let you know in case you want it) and it can hold 2 baby carrier carseats. I have one carseat that matches right now and maybe you can find another one that matches. I would definitely try and go to Babies R Us or somewhere like that so you can see and test out some things. We have a Graco that has cool handles and a large basket underneath and I really love it.

I would get a bouncer seat that vibrates and bounces for sure AND a swing that goes side to side and forward/backward. That way one could be in each and you could switch. The side to side really saved me sometimes since some babies are used to being in Mommy's arms being cradled side to side. We will also sell our bouncy seat and swing soon, so I'll let you know. In fact, I need to see all that I have so that you can go through it.

Bumbos are great for a little while until they start reaching over the side and pulling themselves over! Free ones are great! We had one with the tray, but it really wasn't used too often since my baby only could be in it for a little while. It is fun to see your 3 month old sit up in it, though!

As for a booster/high chair, I would try and find one that can lay back for sure. This will be a lifesaver if you want to give the babies a bottle. You can hold one while the other is in the high chair feeding themselves, of course when they can. There are little chairs that can strap to your dining chairs and can lay back. It may be worth getting two to have some free hands...experience of watching the Hicksons with their twins. We have a high chair that has wheels and lays back and I have not changed since. I love it so much, especially since I can move it around if I need to. When you're folding clothes in the living room and the babies still want to see you...this comes in handy. Logan is still in his now that he is 18 months old and we use it for some bottle feedings, as well.

Body pillow is a must, if it be a regular pillow or a maternity one, it will save at least some nights of discomfort. I finally got one for my fourth pregnancy and wondered why the heck I hadn't before!

Ummm, what else? Ask away and I can help hopefully in some way. It would definitely be worth it to go to a store with someone that has kids and they can help you register for things you want/need. There are other things that are a must, like burp towels and such, and ways to make it cheaper, plus getting things that are necessary and not an extra "fun" thing to buy. Although, it's always great to get some things that are just "fun"!! I'm so excited for you guys and praying every day for all! We love you guys! Enjoy!

Jill said...

A girl in our stake swore by her travel system that carriers click into. She used it EVERYWHERE for the first 6 months. Strollers are a life saver, and I bet you could even find this one on Craigslist.
I love my body pillow that's made of the spandex material has beads in it. Bumbos are great if you remember to use them. Both of my boys preferred their booster instead of the high chair.
Good luck!

Erin said...

I'll agree on the Boppy. They only use them for a few months and then they try to get out of them. I had a tray, but Ainsley would just take it off and play with it. We went for the booster seat instead of a high chair. We have the First Years Infant to Toddler Feeding Seat and love it. My mom got one for her house too. It has different seat levels and lays back. The seat cover is reversible and washable too. I never got a body pillow, I actually used a little baby pillow and tucked it under my belly when I layed on my side. That's really all I needed until the end, and then I just leaned up on a regular pillow. But with two babies, you might need the extra support. One thing that I used all the time was the boppy bouncer that I borrowed. It layed back, played music, vibrated and she loved it. I would put her in it whenever I needed to do something. Kid to Kid has great deals on all of these things, and clothes, bath tubs, diaper genies, toys, play mats, etc. I love that store. As far as diapers and wipes, I find that it's cheaper to buy the costco brand in both. It's cheaper than coupons usually. The diapers are almost identical to Huggies Natural Fit. I think they only start at size 1-2. So for newborn, there are coupons in most Sunday papers, I'll collect any that I see for ya. :) Yes you'll need quite a few. Good Luck!