I have always had long hair...or at least as for as long as I have had any say in the matter (thanks Mom for all of the hair cuts as a child that Billy would tease me about...and for the pictures that will last a lifetime).
Over the past couple of years when it has been long for a while I chop it and then donate it to locks of love. I really do prefer it long, but whether it is long or not as long (I don't think I could ever do short, but time will tell) I really don't "DO" anything with it. I wash and dry it every morning and not too far into the day I usually pull it back or up. I may pull the rubber band out once or twice, but generally my hair is back. If I am eating my hair is definitely pulled back.
So to the reason I am posting this is yesterday I finally decided that my hair is finally growing from when I cut it back in June? and I am excited. Like I said before I prefer it long, but since I have it pulled back all of the time whether it is long or not as long I can still pull it back, so that is why it really isn't an issue for me to chop 10" off and give it away...not to mention there are salons that will do the cut for FREE if you donate the hair.
I think in my entire life I have paid to have my hair cut maybe 5 times. I know it is recommended to cut it like every 3 months, but I have mine cut every year to year and a half. As a child (the lovely hair cuts I mentioned before) my grandmother would cut my hair. Then in Jr high I would have my neighbor cut it. In High School and college I think I may have paid a time or 2 and cut it myself the other times. After I graduated college I did go to the salon once and get a cut and have my hair highlighted. I dropped about $140 on it. Never again. Alex didn't even like it with highlights...and I really don't worry about my hair too much since I never have to look at it and I always have it pulled back :)
The only complaint I have is that I really enjoy it when someone is playing with my hair. At the salon they wash it, and brush it and play with it while they are cutting it. So I don't get to enjoy that very often. I have tried to get Alex to play with it, but he is not interested. I need to have a little girl that likes to play with Mommy's hair. I enjoyed doing that as a little girl, but my Mom didn't so that hasn't worked very well for me during my life.
My memory is not very great from when I was a kid, but I learned at an early age that I like it when someone plays with my hair. I remember one day on the bus ride home after school when I was in 4th or 5th grade one of the little girls on the bus came and played with my hair and I loved it. What a great feeling! I could fall asleep to someone playing with my hair.
One more story for the record. When Alex and I got engaged my hair was really long so in the engagement picture and my bridal portrait it is long, but about a month before the wedding I wanted it cut so I had my sister (18 at the time) cut it for me. I thought the cut was fine...I don't worry if it isn't perfectly straight because I pull it back, but Alex was not excited about it. Not because it was a bad hair cut, because it was fine, but he prefers it long as well and I did it right before the wedding (and let my sister do it :)
1 comment:
My oldest son Joshua loved to "twiddle" with hair. It drove me absolutely CRAZY!!!!
Here's hoping you get that little girl :-)
Post a Comment