Friday, August 15, 2008

If I can do it, so can you

Anyone that knows me well knows that I am a bit of a planner. I often get teased that I have a list for everything. BTW - I LOVE EXCEL. I don't know how people were ever organized before computers.

Anyways, one thing that I have been putting off doing because I felt I did not have the money or space for is doing my food storage. For anyone that is not familiar with this...one of the ways that the church I go to encourages it's members to be prepared for different trials that may arise in life (in addition to having financial savings) is to have a supply of food stored in your home. My excuses of living in an apartment with no room and living on student loans have finally become excuses of the past. We have had our home for going on 2 years now and thankfully we are gainfully employed. I decided a few months ago that now is the time. Honestly, it is the economy that helped me come to this decision. Prices for basic food staples have been on the rise and I don't want to pay more than I have to for anything. So I researched through all of the papers and resources on the Internet that I had to decide how much of what items we were going to store for the two of us and then went to work. I have been able to dry pack about 750 lbs of food in roughly 8 hrs. According to my calculations a year's supply of food for both of us is about 1170 lbs and it will only cost me ~$660. Not that I am ready to try it out for a year to see if it will last, but that would be a nice food budget ($55/month for 2 people).


So here is my proof...laid out step by step to show just how easy it really is.


Start with some bulk food items.

Pour them into a container so they can easily be repackaged into a Mylar bag for long term storage.


Have your bags ready to add an oxygen pack to. This will suck out the oxygen so they will stay nutritious over the years they are stored.

Borrow the sealer available from church.

Label the items.

Find an easy way to store them.

And I am sure Alex is thrilled...now we have another home improvement project to do.

Add some shelves to the utility room to store the food :)

5 comments:

Stoddard Family said...

Your food storage is awsome. I didn't realize the church had sealers. Will you e-mail me any food storage info you have. I would love more info to help us get more of a food storage. And your right why would I have chosen any other color besides purple. Don't worry our little boys room will not be purple.

Stephanie Hall said...

Way to go!!! That's amazing!!! What foods are you storing?

Melissa said...

Totally didn't know we had a sealer. I have some rice and pinto beans that we need to store. Who do I talk to borrow it?

Jill said...

You're way ahead of us!

Lauren said...

Can I hire you to do mine:)